Throughout the academic year Broadway Academy works with its Primary School partners to share expertise and facilities, ease the transition to secondary school, create opportunities for students and jointly celebrate the love for learning.
Broadway Academy Transition Package During the summer term:
- Visits made to all feeder primary schools by an Assistant Headteacher and Head of Year to meet and reassure all students moving up to Broadway Academy in the September.
- Broadway Academy literature provided to parents and students.
- Broadway Academy SENCO visits to primary schools, to meet students identified as having additional needs. Broadway Academy working in partnership with primaries schools to provide a pre-mentoring programme in the larger feeder primary schools. To develop year 6 students with the skills needed for secondary school.
- Broadway Academy SEND host weekend workshops for students and parents identified as having additional needs. Two transition day in July where students experience taster lessons and become familiar with the school routines.
- Parents are invited to join their child during the transition afternoon.
- Courtesy phone calls home to parents by the Head of Year and Assistant Head of Year.
- Students are given the gift of a reading book to help promote the love and importance of reading for pleasure. During the summer holidays:
- Homework is provided to keep students engaged with their learning.
- An exciting two week summer school is opened to everyone .
- A two day induction programme where students spend time with their form tutor to familiarise themselves with school routines.
- A post mentoring programme for students needing support with the transition.
- A drop in coffee morning for parents to meet with the Head of Year and Assistant Head of Year.
- Invitation for parents to attend our whole school open evening to view facilities and teaching areas.
- Year 7 students to complete a questionnaire on how they feel about school
- Parental workshops running through September and October.
- A settling in parents evening with form tutors in October.
Come and join the teachers and coaches at Broadway Academy and take part in our multisport programme. The sessions will look at different sports not necessarily taught on the curriculum or we can tailor the programme to concentrate on developing the skills needed by your pupils. The course is completely free and runs for 3 weeks. Start dates are flexible to meet your needs and sessions will be held on a Monday from 2.05pm for either 1 or 2 hours.
Wednesday 2nd March – 1.05pm – 3.05pm
Science Event – 50 pupils maximum
Spend an hour in our amazing planetarium before experiencing our science labs where you will investigate how the human body works.
Tuesday 15th March – 1.05pm – 3.05pm
Smoothie Making (D&T) – Year 5 – 20 pupils maximum
Spend the afternoon learning about healthy eating and making delicious healthy snacks.
Tuesday 15th March – 1.05pm – 3.05pm
Art Workshop (D&T) – Year 5 – 20 pupils maximum
Experiment with different art materials to create your very own master piece.
Wednesday 16th March – 1.05pm – 3.05pm
Buggy Making (D&T)- Year 5 – 20 pupils maximum
Design, build and race your buggy.
Rainforest Roadshow – 7th June or 8th July
Meet some animals of the rainforest and learn how they adapt to their environment. Suitable for year 5 or 6
Blakesley Hall – Wednesday 17th June
Visit to Blakesley Hall to look at ‘Rich and Poor’ in Tudor Times. Suitable for year 5.
Art Workshop – Thursday 9th July
Suitable for year 5 or year 6.
90 Primary School students from Yew Tree Community School and St George’s CE Academy visited Broadway Academy to watch a performance of The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. After the performance the students had a chance to meet the cast during a question and answer session.
Year 6 students at Yew Tree Primary School enjoyed German lessons, learning about German culture and how to conduct basic conversations. The Schnappi song was a favourite!